Listen to an audio transcription of this post
The right pillowcase improves your sleep by keeping you cool and comfortable.
Silk pillowcases are best because they wick moisture, allow airflow, and help regulate body temperature.
Silk pillowcases have added benefits like reducing frizzy hair, preventing breakouts, and keeping skin moisturized.
Blissy makes high quality, affordable silk pillowcases that come in different sizes and colors.
The average adult needs between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each night. But the wrong pillowcase could disrupt your sleep. The right pillowcase will be breathable and help with airflow. If it's hot inside or outside, you may find you are uncomfortable in your room. So you may need to make some changes to get the uninterrupted sleep you need.
Here's everything you need to know about the right moisture-wicking, durable pillowcase for better sleep.
How Temperature Affects Your Sleep
So why is it a good idea to switch to a temperature-regulating pillowcase? Because temperature affects how you sleep. Let us explain.
According to the Sleep Foundation, the body's temperature decreases during your normal sleep cycle. The temperature drop is tied to your circadian rhythm. As it gets dark out, your body recognizes it's time for you to rest and begins to drop its temperature.
After you go to sleep, it's normal for your body temperature to keep dropping. It will drop throughout the first two stages of your sleep cycle before increasing again. Your normal body temperature is around 98.6° Fahrenheit. During the night, your temperature could drop by as much as two degrees!
If you are too warm at night, your body may register this as a problem and your quality of sleep may suffer. External factors can affect how well your body can regulate its temperature. This may result in you waking up.
For example, you know when you kick off your socks in the middle of the night or removed your comforter? It's because your body couldn't regulate its temperature and forces you to wake up and take action.
You're Most Sensitive During NREM
The first two stages of sleep are known as slow-wave sleep. During these stages, you're most likely to be disturbed because of temperature-related issues. Those stages of sleep are also when you get the most rejuvenating rest. So disturbances at that time can impact your body and leave you feeling tired the next day.
To create a better night's sleep for yourself, you need to spend enough time in non-REM (NREM) sleep without waking up. Some helpful tips to keep you resting easy include:
- Keeping your curtains closed, keeping your bedroom cool, even on very hot days.
- Avoid exercising before bed. Exercise can raise your body's temperature and make it harder to cool off before sleep.
- Get natural bedding. The best option is a silk pillowcase thanks to its weave allowing better airflow.
- Turning down the air conditioning. Keep your room at around 65° Fahrenheit for a chilly but comfortable night's sleep.
Doing these things can help keep you comfortable at night. Still not sure why you should try a temperature-regulating pillowcase? Here are a few more things that you should think about.
Why Use a Temperature-Regulating Pillow Case?
There is nothing worse than not getting enough sleep at night. Except not feeling comfortable on the materials you're sleeping with!
Do you deal with night sweats or are uncomfortable while in bed because of scratchy or hot material? A great fix for this is to get a temperature-regulating pillow cover that helps keep you cool.
A cooling pillowcase helps keep your body heat regulated. So you feel comfortable while you sleep and get a better night's rest.
What kind of cooling pillowcases are the best? Our top pick is a silk cooling pillowcase. Pure 100% silk isn't made of synthetic materials and wicks away moisture as you drift off to sleep. A silk pillowcase helps keep you at the right temperature. So you feel cooler at night and get through NREM without disruptions.
The Benefits of Silk Pillowcases
Silk cooling pillowcases are an excellent alternative to bamboo pillowcases or other options. Unlike cotton or polyester, silk pillowcases help you avoid allergens like pet dander, mold, dust mites, and pollen. They are allergen-repellent. This means common allergens don't stick to the pillowcase, helping your airways open. So you can relax deeply and sleep better.
The best quality silk pillowcases, like Blissy, are made of mulberry silk. This fabric wicks away moisture and helps you regulate your body temperature.
How can a simple pillowcase make such a difference in your sleep?
Silk pillowcases wick away the moisture that other kinds of pillowcases hold onto. This movement of body moisture and sweat mimics your body's cooling mechanisms. This helps maintain your temperature better. Soft-woven silk also allows air to move freely, which means it breathes better and lets you get more comfortable.
Some more benefits of silk include:
- It prevents frizzy hair. Because silk has a smooth texture that allows your hair to glide over it at night. It also won't snag and break as often, so your hair can keep growing and looking its best.
- It helps keep your skin moisturized. Because silk's weave makes it less likely to absorb moisture from your skin. If you have dry skin, switching to a silk pillowcase could help your body feel more moisturized.
- It helps fight acne. Silk doesn't hold onto allergens and is less likely to absorb oils from your skin. So you may see a reduction in breakouts.
These and other benefits, like staying cooler, are all good reasons to consider using silk pillowcases when you're sleeping.
What Is the Best Silk Cooling Pillowcase?
Blissy pillowcases are the best on the market for hot sleepers. Our pillows help you sleep better by offering the following benefits:
- Ultra-soft and comfortable fabric
- Moisture-wicking silk
- Cooling features
- Better thermoregulation
Did you know that experts say you should sleep between 66 and 70° Fahrenheit for your best night's sleep? To sleep all night long, you don't have to turn down the air conditioning all the way, though.
The best cooling pillowcases will help your body cool itself and stay regulated even if your room is warmer. Of course, it's your personal preference, and you may want to consider switching up not only your pillowcase but also your bedding material.
If you're using rayon, satin, cotton, or a combination of materials for your pillowcases, consider switching to silk. You'll reap all the benefits of this natural fiber!
Does Silk Reduce Heat More Than Satin?
You may have already bought a satin pillowcase and may be wondering what's the difference between satin and silk. Satin is cheaper than silk and looks similarly shiny in photos online. But it does not convey the same benefits at all.
If you can afford to upgrade to silk, now is the time. While satin might feel smooth and cost less, silk is the right material if you want natural temperature regulation at night.
Silk looks beautiful and luxurious, but you can't skip over its benefits. While it might look delicate, it's sturdy and creates the right situation for you to get good sleep at night.
Silk is cooler than satin because satin less breathable and is conducive to sweating. So don't let satin heat you up at night. Silk feels much softer and looks much sleeker. It will leave you feeling way more comfortable all night long.
Discover More About Blissy Pillowcases
So, are silk pillowcases worth buying? Yes! You can machine wash Blissy pillowcases and find them in all different sizes including children's sizes. Here are three of our top picks to help you get started on your selection journey:
- Blissy Silk Pillowcase in White (Standard)
- Blissy Junior Silk Pillowcase in Hedgehog (Youth)
- Blissy Silk Pillowcase in Purple Ombre (King)
With our pillowcases, you'll always get a better night's sleep. Care instructions are included with any pillowcase you buy from our shop. Following proper care techniques helps you keep your pillowcase looking new even after washing.
With Blissy pillowcases, you can stay cool, reduce allergies, keep your skin moisturized, and even help stop hair breakage. All without using materials that contain harmful chemicals or that hinder temperature regulation!
- 7 Reasons Why People Buy Blissy Pillowcases. (n.d.). Blissy. https://info.blissy.com/7-reasons-why?affId=2
- Benefits of a Silk Pillowcase | Best Silk Pillowcase | Cooling Pillow. (n.d.). Fifty & Fab. https://www.fiftyandfab.co.uk/blog/benefits-of-a-silk-pillowcase-and-cooling-pillow
- Blissy Editors. (2021, September 20). The Thermoregulating Prowess of Silk. Blissy. https://blissy.com/blogs/the-blissy-blog/the-thermoregulating-prowess-of-silk
- Blissy Editors. (2022, October 24). Why You Need a Silk Pillowcase for Better Sleep. Blissy. https://blissy.com/blogs/the-blissy-blog/why-you-need-a-silk-pillowcase-for-better-sleep
- Nights in White Satin (Sheets) - Are they Really that Cool? (2020, November 27). MODX Revolution. https://bedcoolers.io/are-satin-sheets-cool-hot/
- Pietrangelo, A. (2022, September 14). The 8 Best Cooling Pillow Cases of 2022. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/cooling-pillow-case
- Teich, J. (2021, November 2). Do Silk Pillowcases Really Benefit Your Skin and Hair? Good Housekeeping. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home-products/a28037094/silk-pillowcases-benefits/