Listen to an audio transcription of this post
If you love taking selfies, you have to join in on the fun for this year's National Selfie Day!
Once a year, the internet floods with selfies of all kinds as everyone gets creative. From gorgeous glamour shots to exotic destinations, you'll have quite your fill of selfies as you scroll through social media.
We'll give you some tips, tricks, and ideas on how to make your selfie stand out—and how your beauty routine can help!
Your camera roll will be so full of great options, you won't know which to post first (it's a great problem to have).
Why We Celebrate National Selfie Day
According to the Oxford Dictionary, a selfie is:
A photo of yourself that you take, typically with a smartphone or webcam, and usually put on social media
In honor of the modern-day self-portrait, National Selfie Day was born. The holiday, which is celebrated annually on June 21st, was created by DJ Rick McNeely. It's a special day designed to encourage people to have fun and get creative with photography.
The history of National Selfie Day is quite short—it's less than a decade old. But, we can give many thanks to Robert Cornelius, who shot the very first "selfie" in October 1839.
This year, make your self-portrait stand out with radiant skin and luxurious accessories!
How to Have Picture-Perfect Skin
Instead of wearing a full face of makeup, show off your natural beauty!
Here are some steps to get you ready for your perfect selfie:
- Cleanse your skin with a hydrating, mild facial soap. Wash your face with lukewarm water—heat will dry your skin and cold won't allow the pores to fully open
- Swipe gentle toner on a cotton pad across your face to help refine and minimize pores
- Apply your favorite serums and allow them to absorb
- Hydrate your skin with moisturizer. Seal the lotion with face oil, which will help you glow
For your makeup look, keep it minimal. Dab on concealer where needed. Then, gently curl your eyelashes, apply mascara, fill in your brows, and smooth on a tinted SPF.
For an extra-dewy look, pat a highlighting balm onto your cheekbones, browbones, chin, inner-eye corners, and the tip of your nose.
Get Creative With a Luxurious Backdrop
Pair your natural beauty with an ultra-soft, luxe Blissy Silk Pillowcase for that "I woke up like this" look.
Take a selfie with our mulberry silk pillowcase to look glamorous and show that you care about your hair and skin.
If you didn't already know, sleeping on silk leads to smoother, more radiant skin and glossier, frizz-free hair!
Here are some ideas on how to style your Blissy Pillowcase as a glam selfie backdrop:
- Lay face-up on your silk pillowcase, with your beautiful hair fanned around your head
- Prop yourself up on your elbows, resting them on your pillow
- Be super-adorable and hug your silky pillow
Give Your Hair That Extra Glow
To add even more glam to your selfie, style your hair with Blissy Silk Scrunchies.
Made from pure mulberry silk and designed to complement any style, our chic scrunchies will add the perfect amount of luxury to your look. You can even match your scrunchie and pillowcase.
Play with a variety of hairstyles, from elegant looks to retro styles!
Tips for Taking Selfies Like a Pro
Whether you're taking a solo shot or a group selfie with friends, you'll need these tips:
- Don't just take a bathroom selfie—get creative! Have fun dreaming up and actualizing your unique idea. Self-expression is important!
- Buy a selfie stick or tripod. Many angles will be difficult or impossible to reach without one.
- Duck face was for Myspace. Find a pose that makes you feel confident and comfortable for your new self-portraits!
- Great lighting is vital. A ring light can be helpful, especially if you're taking a selfie in a lower-light environment.
- If you prefer to use only natural lighting, take a selfie during the golden hour—the hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset
Share Your National Selfie Day Selfies
Enjoy a luxurious experience with Blissy this National Selfie Day!
Have fun experimenting with your luxe and glam selfie shoot. Afterward, don't forget to share your favorite self-portraits with a social media post.
Use the hashtag #blissybrand to show us your favorite selfies—and how naturally gorgeous you are!