Curling your hair with hot tools isn't the only way to achieve beautiful curls. And it's a good thing because, over time, all that heat leads to breakage, split ends, and frizz.
Forget using a heat protectant, flat iron, and other hot styling tools. You can reduce damage and achieve heatless curls (or heatless waves) overnight with other methods.
It doesn't matter if you have short hair or long hair. These super easy, damage-free techniques will help you say hello to happy, shiny curls and goodbye to frizzy, dull ones.
Curl Hair Overnight Without Heat
The first thing that comes to mind when someone says "overnight curls" is hair rollers. (We've seen plenty of Nanas wearing them.)
This traditional method works well to get heatless curls overnight. But, Velcro rollers can lead to damage—especially when paired with a blow dryer.
So, let's explore some other ways to achieve heatless curls overnight. Plus, you can save time by not wrapping those rollers around your entire head.
But first, an important tip:
All the following methods call for detangled, semi-damp hair and the application of a styling product.
Depending on your hair texture, you can use a leave-in conditioner, mousse, curl cream, or volumizing spray. If you haven't recently washed your hair, mist your strands with water first.
Try trendy sock curls
All you need for this heatless curls method are 4 crew socks, large hair clips, and hair ties.
First, separate your hair into 4 sections—2 in the front and 2 in the back. Use a clip to secure a sock (even an old sock will do) at the top of each section, close to the crown.
Once they're secure, start twisting your hair on one section. Create an X shape on the front and back of the sock as you crisscross your hair around it, from the top down. Finish by securing the end with a hair tie.
Repeat for all other sections. When you take it down in the morning, you'll have luscious curls!
A quick hair tie PSA:
Instead of using any old hair tie, secure the ends with silk scrunchies. Silk won't snag, crease, or dry out hair!
Wrap your hair with a robe tie
This method to achieve heatless curls overnight works well for any hair type.
First, part your hair down the middle.
Twist or braid your hair around the waist tie on both sides of your head. Ensure that they're wrapped tightly and secured with a scrunchie before going to sleep.
Gently unwrap in the morning and enjoy bouncy curls!
Braid semi-damp hair
A simple yet effective way to achieve heatless curls overnight is to put braids in your hair.
For loose waves, braid your hair into two sections. For tighter curls, divide your hair into small sections (at least 4) before braiding.
Braid the bottom half of each section around a hair ribbon for best results. You'll be rewarded with beautiful curls.
Tips and Tricks for Short Hair
If your hair's not long, don't worry. Here are some special tips to achieve heatless curls for short hair:
- As long as your hair isn't much shorter than a bob, you can try all the above methods! You might need to knot or wrap the leftover length of hair ribbon, sock, waist tie, etc. so that it doesn't dangle loosely.
- You may want to add flexible curling rods to your heatless curls repertoire, especially if your hair already has some texture. Like traditional rollers, wrap small sections of hair around the rods before going to sleep.
- If you have very short hair, you can still obtain heatless curls for short hair. Create pin curls—roll hair and pin pieces with clips or bobby pins.
- After setting hair using the desired method, slip a Blissy Bonnet over your head to wake up to frizz-free heatless curls in the morning!
Protect and Maintain Your Hairstyle
Protect your heatless curls while they work for you overnight!
Our bonnet is crafted from pure mulberry silk, which will keep your hair hydrated while reducing frizz and breakage. It's wonderful for protecting other textures and hairstyles, too, like curly hair, braids, and hair extensions.
Up your hair and skincare game even more with our silk pillowcase, which is nearly friction-free, non-drying, and ultra-soft.
Ready to Wake Up to Cute Curls?
Experiment with these fun and easy methods to get heatless curls overnight—you won't be disappointed.
Not only will your hair thank you, but you'll look fabulous with minimal effort. And, it's a great excuse to pamper yourself with silk!
- Simeon, A., & Tompkins, P. B. C. (2020, April 14). TikTok Brought “Sock Curls” Back — & They Look So Good. Refinery29. https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/04/9689023/how-to-curl-hair-with-socks
- Laineymariebeauty. (2021). How to Create Perfect Overnight Heatless Curls With the Wrap Method. UpstyleDaily.com. https://www.upstyledaily.com/diy/overnight-heatless-curls-with-robe-44416867
- Pittman, S. (2022). 5 Ways to Curl Your Hair Without Heat Overnight - wikiHow. wikiHow. https://www.wikihow.com/Curl-Your-Hair-Without-Heat-Overnight
- Montell, A. (2022). How to Curl Short Hair: 4 Quick and Easy Tutorials. Byrdie. https://www.byrdie.com/how-to-curl-short-hair-tutorial
- Haber, M. (2021). Tutorial: 2 Easy Ways to Create Pin Curls. All Things Hair United States. https://www.allthingshair.com/en-us/hairstyles-haircuts/vintage-hairstyles/tutorial-create-pin-curls/